View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:35 am

Sketch #0015 
Sketch Queen

Post Re: Sketch #0015
Cute page Sonya. Glad you were able to get a chance to play.
m

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:26 am
Owner & Super Moderator

I'm hoping to do more...we'll see where I go with that. hee hee

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:05 am
Profile WWW
Friend

What a fun layout, Sonya!

I remember going to the New Jersey State Fair YEARS ago, but I don't think they do it yearly anymore. You would think this being a farming and "Garden" state they would have more fairs around here - actually, maybe they do - I should check it out, as that is always a good choice when you are looking for something different to do. We do have Harvest Festivals and Pumpkin Festivals around here in the fall, but don't think that's quite the same thing!

A funny memory from that State Fair. My friend and I were looking at the goats behind a 4 1/2-foot fence, and she was holding a flyer (sheet of paper) and the goat came right up to the fence and snatched it out of her hand and ate it! It was the funniest thing - especially how the paper kept folding over as he was eating it so it would fit in its mouth! (Hmmm...I should find those pics and scrap them - LOL!!) :D

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:20 am
Owner & Super Moderator

Thanks Diane! Hey did you mention you were gone? Vacation or something?

I really enjoyed your little story about the goat eating the paper. They do like to chew on anything. I've had my shirts or loose jackets chewed too.

That is weird if they don't have a county fair and then a state fair. If they don't, I wonder what the 4-H kids do? Anyhow if you do want something different that might be a fun thing to go too....lots of people here like to wonder through the animal barns. Well there is some who don't because of the smell, etc.... :lol: :)

hummm Harvest Festivals and Pumpkin Festivals isn't something done around here. I've seen LO done of them but what are they all about?

Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Friend

Hi Sonya - no I did not mention I was going to be gone because I didn't know. It's just one of those things with me, getting caught up in having to do things around the house (like decluttering--my full time job--LOL) and running errands, etc. I feel like those things get ignored because I'm on the computer--and once in a while I'll get a "look" from my DH while I'm sitting at the computer like "you're in your usual spot!" So when I am not on the computer much, I have to mention THAT, because it doesn't get noticed--only when I spend alot of time here. I also have so many phone calls to make and visits to do which I try to fit in among everything else. I don't know how people with full-time jobs do everything--I feel like there's not enough hours in the day sometimes!

We're having a second family reunion on my mom's side of the family this November, and the first one we had in December 2007 (after not seeing some of my relatives for 30 years--it was wonderful), a lot of us had brought old family photos. Everyone else who brought them, the pics were in boxes. But no, not me, Mrs.DigiScrapper here had to scan all hers and put them in a book (28 pages worth) to be passed around for everyone to see. I saved the pages on disk and ended up giving the book to my one cousin who "hosted" the party--she and her husband have a restaurant, which is where we had the reunion. Anyway, then I made up 7 additional pages of the pics from the reunion party and gave her those printed pages to add to her book. Now for this year's reunion, she and her brother would like to make a copy of that book for each family to give them at this reunion (probably about 6 books, but that is times 35 pages), so didn't "yours truly" offer to print them up? I am such a glutton for punishment, but I was really pleased they liked the book. And it wasn't anything fancy--just collage-type pages with some captions and a few elements dotted here and there--no fancy papers or backgrounds--just very simple. But it is a nice remembrance. Now if I just had my own hard copy! LOL I assume I will be the appointed photographer for this reunion party and here comes some more pages!!! So much to do----so little time! Aren't you glad you asked? :lol:

Oh, I have to edit this post because I forgot to mention about the Pumpkin Festival that they just had in my area last weekend. It's mostly craft stands and such. Really not sure because I've only gone to one and that was a few years ago. Possibly produce stands, too, but I don't think there are any animal shows like those goats at the State Fair. I guess I should really check into the Fair thing as I'm sure we must have some in the state--maybe just at the county level if not the state level.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:15 pm
Owner & Super Moderator

You are to funny Diane. I can totally relate to a number of things you mentioned. Most of my married life I was a stay-at-home mom till the last number of years. Now I work pretty much full time and run several business on the side which keep me busy. I notice that things get left undone and I have to pick the priority things to work on. Projects like you mention for family reunion type things has gone to the back burner...don't like it but it's where I'm at for now.

I think it's cool that you are involved and doing what you are for the family. Hopefully you can get some money to cover the cost at least for doing those books. Are you printing them on your home computer or having them printed somewhere? I would think the cost and wear and tear on the printer would be terrible.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Friend

Yes, Sonya, I will be compensated for what I spend on these books, as it was my cousin's idea - I just offered to do them (which I am sure they were hoping!). They expected the expense either way. Plus we all chip in for the reunion anyway, since it is held at their restaurant, so I will get reimbursed, either wholly or partly, (if they want to deduct it from my share of the party expenses). Yes, I am printing them on my home printer--it's a Canon (all-in-one) MP620; it's fairly new and does a great job (hope I didn't jinx that now by saying that!). I use the heavier double-sided matte paper and slide it into a three-hole punched sheet protector which then goes into a three-ring binder that has the plastic insert sheet on the cover so I can also insert a cover page. With the two-sided paper, I will only need half as many sheets; and it shouldn't be too bad, inkwise, as they are just "collage" photos on white paper, so no fancy digi-scrapping background papers!

They have a really nice Italian restaurant in the "Old Italy" section of Trenton, NJ, for more than 30 years. Unfortunately, the neighborhood is changing, so (with the economy, too), I don't know how much longer they will be able to 'hang in there' as business is not what it used to be. I think now they are open limited days (probably the weekends), but they still book private parties. Every year, in early December, they have the traditional 7 Fishes Dinner, and my cousin has visiting chefs from Washington DC, presiding over the menu. I've never been to that, but it's a really nice and well-publicized affair.

Here's a link to the NJ Times article dated Dec. 2008 about last year's Seven Fishes dinner:
http://www.nj.com/living/times/index.ss ... xml&coll=5

Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:10 am