View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:28 pm

Photo Tips: Labeling Photos 
Owner & Super Moderator

Post Photo Tips: Labeling Photos
This posting will come out on the Blog today (09-22-09). If you have any suggestions, experiences, stories, etc. please post them here, so that we can all learn from each other. Thanks.

Labeling Photos:
Have you ever come across a family picture and wonder who was in it? When it was taken & where? I’ve heard of stories where people tossed out pictures because they didn’t know anything about it. Whenever I’ve been working with old family documents and pictures. I so appreciate those who took the time to label them with the, who, when, where, etc. Those steps just added value to those photos didn’t it? With the digital age it brings in a whole different set of issues than the past but the same basic element remains. Label those photos. This may be the wrong audience to address this issue to because as scrappers that is what we are working towards. Creating a LO with those photo’s that is telling the story with who, what, when, how, etc. But if those photo’s aren’t in a LO it should still be labeled whether in actual print or sitting on a hard drive on the computer. This is such an important element to taking pictures.

Why not post your suggestions, helps, or questions to a thread called “Labeling photos” in the SumScrapper forum. Let us know how you label your pictures, or looking for a method, or have questions.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Sketch Queen

Post Re: Photo Tips: Labeling Photos
This thread is an excellent idea. I've been working on organizing photos,as well as ACDSee for my digi kits.

Thus far:
printed photos- are in a creative memories boxes, labeled by year. one box-family, one box-dance, one box-school

heritage- just in a box

digital- folders by event/year--but I am in need of tagging (somehow) information about them/

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:17 am
Designer & Moderator

What a helpful thread! :D

I've got a system but I'm sure I could improve it. All of my digital photos are placed into folders labeled by year, then date, then event. Once I have enough to fill up a disc, I copy them to the disc. As far as labeling them by who, when, where, or what...I usually do that at the scrapbook page/layouts stage. I include the details in my journaling.

Michi, I'm organizing my kits using ACDSee, too. :D I love it when I can find what I need there. It seems to be a never-ending process, though. :roll:

My Blog
My Sum Scrapper Store

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:51 am
Sketch Queen

Yes, Ellie...never ending...
and of course, I keep DL!
m

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:20 am
Designer & Moderator

I have been hunting for years for a way to easily enter data such as who what and where into those fields in files that are for that. Beats me why it has been so darn difficult for so long! That way the info stays with the file in a sort of digital lock box. ACDSee seems to do the trick as long as you remember to give it the instruction to copy it all to the file. I want to be able to share files around the family and they should be able to just right click on a file and everything should be there in the properties box.

Sadly I've discovered that sometimes editing a file and then saving it can over write the data.

I've been pretty anal about naming files as well. I start each one with as much of the true date as I can - so 090925 blah blah blah or 70s blah blah blah.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Theodor Seuss Giesel

Blog: http://dusty-digitals.blogspot.com/
Web: http://dustydigitals.selsmark.com/

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:38 pm