View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:48 pm

Mac Laptop or PC Laptop 
Designer & Moderator

Post Mac Laptop or PC Laptop
I've just finished teaching an online course for my old mates in Singapore and I have decided to spend my hard earned cash on a new laptop. I like to sit with DH in front of the tele of an evening putting together pages and generally mucking about in PSE but my old laptop is so slow I could bake a cake waiting for it to apply a filter.

We always said when we got the chance we'd go back to having a Mac - and now I have the chance! Given they are more expensive than PCs and I've never tried a laptop Mac I'd be very interested in hearing from you guys. Anyone got one? Worth the outlay?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Theodor Seuss Giesel

Blog: http://dusty-digitals.blogspot.com/
Web: http://dustydigitals.selsmark.com/

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:31 am
Designer & Moderator

Post Re: Mac Laptop or PC Laptop
I personally don't have a MAC at all. My sister has one. She has always been a PC person. A friend of hers was upgrading her mac laptop to a new one and sold it to my sister. She loves it. Says it so much more friendlier than the PC. I have a pc and like mine. So guess it is more what you want to use. I would go to the store and play on the pc one and the mac one and go with what you feel best. :)

Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:33 pm
Sketch Queen

Well. I have pc's. The man who made mine says there is a spot for a mac part too. (but I don't get it).
One, thing I do know...is a mac laptop stays much cooler than a pc one.
Our computer guru and my SIL both have one.
m

Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:55 am
Designer (PT)

When I was in college (early 90's), we bought a mac for a class that I was taking, and we LOVED it. I don't know why we ended up back with a PC, but when I was buying my laptop, I wanted a Mac so badly, but at the time I was using PSP, which didn't have a Mac version, so I bought a PC. Now I'm using Photoshop and could KICK myself. I'd get a Mac in a heartbeat--my son has both, and he prefers the Mac, too. Much less crashing, goofy errors, updates that mess you up...HTH

Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:49 am
Designer & Moderator

I started out on computers on that litle one box Mac and really liked it. When we upgraded my DH insisted on a PC and I wasn't happy but went along. Now several years down the road and several PC's later he got a MacBook and LOVES it and says I should switch being the visual person I am. I don't like to learn new things especailly with designing etc. so I have held out but he says it is wonderful. If you haven't found much about it here there is something in the back of my mind that says Linda Sattgast at Scrappersguide may use a Mac...I know she includes Mac training with all of her training Tut etc. I think they have some threads for Mac people there but I haven't checked in a very long time.

http://www.rhondastreasurebox.com/

Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:39 pm
Designer & Moderator

Sounds like you gals are singing in chorus (well, mostly). I am definitely leaning to the Mac.

We used to have them all the time at work but then my department became an IBM Associate that gave us great discounts etc so when my machine came up for renewal, I had to get a PC. Successive workplaces have been PC as well and that tends to force you to have the same at home if you do lots of work at home that is, and as a teacher you do lots at home.

We got as far as looking up the Australian prices and they are far from cheap. <sigh> Need to keep working so I can afford my toys!! :lol:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Theodor Seuss Giesel

Blog: http://dusty-digitals.blogspot.com/
Web: http://dustydigitals.selsmark.com/

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:26 pm
Designer (PT)

Jandy wrote:
Sounds like you gals are singing in chorus (well, mostly). I am definitely leaning to the Mac.

We used to have them all the time at work but then my department became an IBM Associate that gave us great discounts etc so when my machine came up for renewal, I had to get a PC. Successive workplaces have been PC as well and that tends to force you to have the same at home if you do lots of work at home that is, and as a teacher you do lots at home.

We got as far as looking up the Australian prices and they are far from cheap. <sigh> Need to keep working so I can afford my toys!! :lol:

One very important consideration Jan - will all the other programs you own work on the Mac? First thing I wold do is see which of the programs you own & want to continue using are Mac compatible. Didn't you just get the Windows version of CS4 or were you using the trial version?

Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Designer (PT)

I don't know if it is true or not, but I heard that Adobe will sell you the switch from PC to Mac for a very minimal price--something like under $50.00.
Yes, Linda Sattgast does use a Mac for her demos, but the differences between the two versions are negligible.
I just had Windows crash again-3 times in the past 2 days. I curse the PC A LOT!!

Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:10 am
Friend

Okay, so I am a PC. I admire the Mac, and have asked my DH repeatedly if I can switch to a Mac. As an FYI - I don't normally ask my DH permission for anything but he is an IT manager and if anything breaks in our house, he is the one who has to fix it, so sadly, he gets a BIG say in what we purchase in this regard :lol:

Anyway, I looked into it. In order for ME, personally, to move to a Mac, I would have to trade out all the networking in my house, new routers, new everything. I would have to get new printers as my printers are wonderful, but over three years old, and do not have Mac drivers available. I would have to buy a new EHD. I would have to buy a new scanner. I would not be able to share files very easily with my DH and DD's computers.

I would have to pay (again) for Windows Office for Mac, because it does not come standard. I would have to convert my Photoshop. I would have to buy all new versions of all software, maybe I would not want all of it because I would use the Mac standard software for many things.

I have also been using Mac's since college and had to switch to PC due to the business world. I work on a PC laptop at work and I don't think it would matter much if i were on a Mac at home, as long as I had MS Office.

Having said all of this, if I had about $5K to spend on this conversion, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Image Image

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:37 am
Owner & Super Moderator

Great input.....I know many years ago I had a Mac and loved it and then had to convert to PC. I know others who have Mac's and love them. Like Carol I'd have to convert and I'm behind in staying currant with the software, hardware, etc....that I have. If I had the money to spend...I think I would get one but keep both.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:13 pm
Profile WWW