[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Sum Scrapper - View topic - Things You're Thankful For
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:13 am

Things You're Thankful For 
Owner & Super Moderator

Post Things You're Thankful For
Ok....I went here to get this information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving

Here is what was said:
"Thanksgiving
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanksgiving Day Observed by: Canada, United States
Date 2nd Monday in October (Canada)
4th Thursday in November (U.S.)

Thanksgiving Day is a harvest festival. Traditionally, it is a time to give thanks for the harvest and express gratitude in general. It is a holiday celebrated primarily in the United States. While perhaps religious in origin, Thanksgiving is now primarily identified as a secular holiday.

The date and location of the first Thanksgiving celebration is a topic of modest contention. The traditional "first Thanksgiving" is the celebration that occurred at the site of Plymouth Plantation, in 1621. The Plymouth celebration occurred early in the history of what would become one of the original thirteen colonies that became the United States. The celebration became an important part of the American myth by the 1800s.[citation needed] This Thanksgiving, modeled after celebrations that were commonplace in contemporary Europe, is generally regarded as America's first. Elementary school teacher Robyn Gioia has argued that the earliest attested "thanksgiving" celebration in what is now the United States was on September 8, 1565 in what is now Saint Augustine, Florida.[1][2] Today, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday of October in Canada and on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States. Thanksgiving dinner is held on this day, usually as a gathering of family members and friends."

Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Owner & Super Moderator

Post Re: Things You're Thankful For
So I thought this would be a fun place to talk about your traditions, stories about Thanksgiving memories, or listing things you are thankful for. Feel free to express it in words or thru a layout.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
Owner & Super Moderator

So I will begin:
Childhood memories:
As a kid I always looked forward to the day for many reasons. One is that I got off of school (which I must admit I liked), that I got to spend time with my favorite cousins and play, eating all this wonderful food including all the yummy pies. Some years we would travel to NM to visit my mothers family there. I loved that too. It was always fun to go to Grandparent's place. In fact I have alot of memories from those trips because sometimes it was in the middle of bad storms in WY, CO, UT, and NM. One year my parents took us to Disney land during the Thanksgiving break. What fond memories.

In General:
Yes, in many ways it can seem cliche but oh how far it is from that. I am truly grateful to have a good devoted, kind, loving husband. I feel so blessed to have the good children I do. Each holds a very special spot in my heart. I love my daughter in law and my soon to be daughter in law. I feel so blessed to have the parents I do. I have always felt of their love towards me. They have taught me so many things like honesty, kindness, to work hard, to enjoy life, to laugh, etc. Then to have the in laws I have. They are wonderful. I only hope that I can be an in law like they have been to me. They have always praised me, my parenting skills, etc...they always lifted me. I'm grateful that we live where we do, surrounded by such good people.

This Year:
This year I'm grateful that we have been able to pay our bills in spite of hubby being laid off for nearly 9 months and really no savings to rely on. Yes, we've had to cut way back and do without things. I'm grateful to have been able to find work, have the health I've had to do the work I've done, and strength to do all the roles I've taken on. (maybe not like I've planned). Thankful of unselfish children who has taken the changes with admirable strength. I'm thankful most of all for a higher power that has taught me to be humble, trust and have faith. Thankful for the kindness of people around us.

Todays Tradition:
I have learned to appreciate the work that goes into preparing those meals especially when many family members gather together. It certainly helps when many hands help prepare the food. In recent years we've added something before eating the meal. We say the prayer of thanksgiving and then one by one we go around the table and try naming a thing we are thankful for that someone else hasn't used. It starts to get a bit tricky if there is a large group.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Designer & Moderator

I am most thankful for my family. One of my favorite traditions is baking desserts on Wednesday. The kids each make a dessert so we end up with a nice variety on Thanksgiving day. :D

Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:17 pm
Sketch Queen

I am thankful for so many things.
My mom and dad that raised me with many great values.

My DD (Megan, y'all know pretty well by now) had the opportunity in life to know all
4 of her grandparents. She had a great eduation, a successful career and married into
a wonderful family with great values.

Bill and I together for many years.

Support of friends --- in real life and cyber. Sometimes, I feel closer to cyber.
I appreciate it all.
m

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:45 pm
Owner & Super Moderator

Thanks Ellie and Michelle.

Ellie...that is a good idea that you mentioned.

Michelle...I had to smile big on the cyber friends.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
Designer & Moderator

I'm thankful for my family and friends. Each and every one of them is important to me. Since my kids are still young, I'm trying to instill so good traditions for them now. Simple things that make the day special. :)

Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:55 am